PERSON OF INDIAN ORIGIN (PIO) CARD
- A Person of Indian Origin (PIO) means a foreign citizen (except a national of Pakistan, Afghanistan Bangladesh, China, Iran, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Nepal) who at any time held an Indian passport
- who or either of their parents/ grand parents/ great grand parents was born and permanently resident in India as defined in Government of India Act, 1935 and other territories that became part of India thereafter provided neither was at any time a citizen of any of the aforesaid countries ( as referred above);
- Who is a spouse of a citizen of India or a PIO
The Government of India has announced vide Gazette Notification No.26011/01/2014IC.I dated 09 January 2015, that all PIO cards issued till 09 January 2015 are deemed to be OCI card. As such the PIO Card scheme has been withdrawn and henceforth, applicants may apply for OCI card ONLY, as PIO card scheme is no longer in existence.
The OCI Card (previously PIO Cards) are special privilege identity Card offered by the Government of India, only to PIOs. GOPIO is very happy that years of lobbying of the Government of India by GOPIO International has now benefited the PIO Diaspora.
The Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) card offer a very convenient and long term visa rights and other privileges to the card holders. In general, persons who are of Indian origin are entitled to this card.
Benefits of OCI Card
- Multiple entries, multi–purpose lifelong visa to India.
- Exemption from reporting to Police authorities for any length of stay in India.
- OCI card holders have the same benefits as India Citizen in financial, economic and educational fields except in the acquisition of agricultural or plantation properties.
- OCI shall be treated at par with resident Indian nationals in the matter of tariffs in air fares in domestic sectors in India.
- OCI shall be charged the same entry fee as domestic Indian visitors to visit national monuments, museum, historic sites, national parks and wildlife sanctuaries in India.
- To pursue the following professions education in India, on par with India citizens.
- Doctors, Dentists, Nurses, Pharmacists, Advocates, Architects and Chartered Accountants and Engineers.
- OCI card is a valid identification for any services rendered by the State Governments.